Monday, August 19, 2013

Safari Explorer Craftivity




Going along with the jungle theme, my students spent this morning crafting their very own Safari Explorers. I purchased the template from Teachers Pay Teachers...and it was worth every penny. This was most of the students first time completing this much cutting...it was definitely a process. I had many students finish quickly, while others took all morning finishing with Explorers missing a few fingers (I joked that maybe their explorer ventured to close to some lions!) Once I hung them all up in the hallway I was very pleased with how they turned out. My kids LOVED hearing compliments from all the other teachers has they spotted our explorers. I really loved this product, because it included the template for the explorer as well as several writing activities! I modified it a little and had my students write about one thing they were looking forward to this year. Get your copy of the template HERE. 
Like I said this project required a LOT of cutting...which for some new second graders was a little tough! Luckily I have some awesome parents who have already volunteered to help cut for future projects like this one. I think that will save us all some time. 
I let the kids use the floor to assemble their explorers. Most of their desks were completely covered in scraps of paper so the floor was the PERFECT workspace. 

My favorite part of this project? How much fun the kids had completing it. Yes, it did take us an ENTIRE morning to finish, but it is still the beginning of the school year. I let my kids "Squeak like a mouse" (which means whisper voices) while they work, and I loved hearing them socialize with one another! It also warmed my heart seeing my early finishers help their classmates put their explorers together! 

What fun beginning of the year projects are you doing with your class? 



No comments:

Post a Comment